My family loves soup. We love it so much, in fact, that we eat it nearly year-round. Except for the dog days of summer, at least one soup makes it into my weekly meal plans.
This week’s soup was a vegetable and bean soup. We eat mostly vegetarian and prefer this soup meatless, but you could easily add some cubed ham or shredded chicken.
- 6 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 8 stalks of kale, leafy part pulled into bite-size pieces, center of the stalk discarded
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 can of cannellini beans, drained
- 1/2 pound baby carrots (or regular carrots chopped, if you aren’t looking to cut corners like me)
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
In a large soup pot, combine the broth, tomatoes, kale, carrots, zucchini, onion, and garlic. Bring to boil, then reduce to medium low heat for 5 minutes. Add beans. Simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.