Raisins and Dogs- Part II

Read part 1 of Angela’s warning for dog owners here.

Well, they both had a ton of raisins. We were brought into a room with their vomit to show us the extreme amount of raisins they had ingested and how just a portion of that could be toxic to a dog. To paint an even clearer picture of this awful experience, my mind was racing thinking about how I might lose my dog of seven years. Thinking about how I was going to explain this to my kids. They would be devastated. AND I was in a room where I was staring at dog vomit being two months pregnant.  What was the next step? Do we hope that they got it all or keep treating assuming that there was more? We were informed that they could die from acute renal failure where their kidneys actually shut down and they would stop urinating in a short amount of time. There is no guarantee on how dogs react to this. Some dogs hold different thresholds of the amount of raisins/grapes that they can stand. Some dogs can eat it and not be affected. Were we willing to take this risk?

To me, this was a no brainer. Buddy was my first baby. I could not live with myself to watch for his kidneys to fail and know that I could have done something. So, the treatment began. They flushed his poor little system. Buddy and Brutus were admitted charcoal like little drug addicts and were put on IV fluids for close to 24 hours. After they were released, we had to take them back to the vet after 24-48 hours to check their levels yet again. Buddy and Brutus came through! It was the most expensive loaf of raisin bread that we have ever purchased.

I would like to tell you that they learned something from this….unfortunately the ladies from my bible study can attest that this isn’t true. After having a meeting here with my friends a couple of months ago I put the leftover dessert someone made on the counter. Guess what happened next? That is right, Buddy the Beagle somehow pulled it off the counter and ate the Butterfinger dessert where he then proceeded to throw up six times in three hours. Again, he is okay…..I guess it’s true what they say about not being able to treat old dogs new tricks. I now, however, will never leave anything on the counter again. His Beagle curiosity will always get the better of him.

 

Angela Brown About Angela Brown

Angela Brown is the owner/editor of ChumMom. Angela married her best friend and they have three little cuties, four including their first which is their Beagle. Right now she is a stay at home mom and is constantly learning on this journey of motherhood. In addition to ChumMom, she is also a yogi and a lover of music, animals, and the Red, White, and Blue.