My husband has been my reviewer as I’ve tweaked this recipe for homemade chocolate bars to get it just so. He says this version (finally) gets two thumbs up. And I agree- they are a delicious treat, though be warned- they melt quickly so use a fork or prepared for chocolatey fingers.
- 1 and 1/2 cup “peanuts only” (no hydrogenated oil) creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 unsweetened baking chocolate bar, 4 oz, 100% cacao
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup dried currants (or dried cranberries would work well too)
In a medium saucepan, combine coconut oil, honey, and peanut butter. Over medium low heat, stir until melted together. (This doesn’t take long.)
Break the chocolate bar into several smaller chunks, and add to saucepan. Stir until the chocolate is melted and combined with the other ingredients.
Remove from heat and add the oats, coconut, and currants.
Spread in a 9 x 13 greased pan.
Refrigerate at least one hour, or until firm, before serving. Cut into small bar-sized pieces to serve. Store in refrigerator.